Well, it looks like I’m not going anywhere, so I might as well share a little bit about who I am.
So hi. I’m Sophie. As we’ve established, I work for The Art of Blowjob. I have always taken care of the social media, blogging, writing, PR, marketing and so on, but I’ve also taken on additional work pertaining to business development, public speaking, more academic writing, directing and editing. Now I also perform. I’m like a girl Friday, now with blowjobs! I’ve been with the company for over four years now and beautiful porn is a very big part of my life, both onscreen and off. When I’m not working on my day job, I shoot porn for a local community-based porn collective and I also help with making DIY sex tapes at a local sex club. Oh, and I host a monthly sexy storytelling event called Tell Me Something Good. AND I have restarted my burlesque act. Phew.
It sounds kind of funny to be talking about myself, but some folks have mentioned that they’re curious, so I’ll run through some more of the personal aspects of myself, almost like a little list of sorts.
- I love to read. I have way too many books on my desk at any given time and at least a couple in my purse. My favourite authors are Dave Eggers, Italo Calvino, Miranda July and John Rechy. My favourite poets are Frank O’Hara, Leonard Cohen and Allen Ginsberg. My most recent favourite read is Drunk Mom by Jowita Bydlowska, which is depressing as all get out, but in a gripping way.
- My sense of humour is verrrrry important to me, and it’s more or less shaped by the following sources: The Simpsons (only season 1-10), Arrested Development, Community (only seasons 1-3), 30 Rock, Clerks Animated, Achewood, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, classic Woody Allen movies (I have a problem with him, but I can’t deny that Manhattan, Annie Hall and Hannah and her Sisters left an imprint on my comedic psyche), Kate Beaton of Hark, a Vagrant and the comedy stylings of Jon Mulaney, Rob Delaney and DeAnne Smith. And probably lots of other things, but that’s what comes to mind. Suffice it to say, funny is sexy and witty banter is extremely important to me.
- I actually come from an all singing, all dancing background. I studied opera extensively, focused on jazz/contemporary dance and somehow parlayed that into directing/choreographing/vocal coaching for musical theatre, which I still do on the side. I’m also on and off in a really cool choir… Yes, such a thing exists.
- Relatedly, I have very little free time.
- Cooking and baking are some of my favourite things. I can whip up a risotto like nobody’s business, bake the best cornbread ever and make a mac and cheese that’d rival any mother’s recipe. And yes, I make many healthier options, too. My favourite thing is to infuse florals into my baking, so I’m always grinding lavender into brownies or using elderflower syrup in a cupcake. I also used to work as a cake decorator, so I have weird precision when I actually put my mind to it. I WILL bake you cookies.
- I realize I’m treading on well-worn ground, but I love Scotch. I’m half Scottish (and the other half is a mix of mostly Irish, some English and a smidgen of French) so I come by it honestly. I have a soft spot for Aberlour (especially the 15 year or the a’bunadh Spanish cask[!!!]), Oban, Glenmorangie, The Balvenie, Auchentoshan (18 year if possible, but I honestly quite like their 12 for everyday at home tippling) and, for my specific roots, the 18 year Talisker. I’m pretty open to different styles. I like it smooth, smoky, peaty, so I’ll also gladly do Lagavulin or Laphroig… Basically, if you have a decent Scotch, I’m there.
- When I’m not doing Scotch, I’m in it for a Hendrick’s gin and tonic, a dirty gin martini or a well-crafted cocktail from someone who knows what they’re doing and may or may not have basil, mint, rose water or lavender.
- As I have a musical background, I’m all about music. I love going to (smallish) shows and devour new music like some sort of a music-devouring animal. Some favourites include: Kishi Bashi, Basia Bulat, Sufjan Stevens, Beirut, Joni Mitchell, LCD Soundsystem, HAIM, Gentleman Reg, Robyn, Grimes, Evening Hymns, Caribou… Yeah. Lots more, but I don’t want to exhaust you.
- Outside of that which I’ve already mentioned in the comedy category, my favourite movies are West Side Story, Shortbus, Cabaret, The Muppet Movie, Me You and Everyone We Know, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Empire Records and, I’ll be real here, Clueless. My tastes are eclectic. As for TV, on top of the aforementioned humour-shaping shows, I have deep love for The West Wing, Orange is the New Black, Freaks and Geeks, Bob’s Burgers, Parks and Recreation, Louie, The Daily Show and the Colbert Report.
- So, documentaries are their own category because I love them so much. The Hot Docs festival is like my Christmas. My favourites of all time are: Beauty is Embarrassing, Paris is Burning, Bad Blood, Whores’ Glory, Serving Life, How to Survive a Plague, Punk Singer and so on. So much on. So much.
- A few of my favourite things: puppets (making, playing with, watching), makeup, green juices, very sweaty workouts, going to the nude beach, just about any sexuality-related social/political cause, yoga, brunch, cats and dogs, walking around my favourite cities, karaoke, doing little crafty things, Thai/Vietnamese/Indian/Mexican foods, playing my ukulele, tending to my little windowsill/balcony garden… The list goes on, and I’m sure I’ll expand on these various passions.
So, that’s (some of) me. What about you?